At Pappin and Pretorius a comprehensive eye examination can take 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the number and complexity of tests required to fully evaluate your vision and the health of your eyes. We do the following on each and every patient that comes to our consulting rooms
- Determining your refractive error and prescription by using state of the art MEDICA 700 Wavefront Aberrometer that accurately measures your prescription up to a hundredth of a dioptre for superior day and night vision
- Digital Slit-lamp examinations and photographs that gives us a magnified view of the structures in your eyes in order to determine and compare with previous examinations
- Our Topcon Maestro Retinal Camera and OCT (Optical Computer Tomography) that is a Ultra Sound (B-scan) which allows us to evaluate the back of the eye and detect ocular disease. Like diabetes, high blood pressure glaucoma and macular degeneration may be seen on the retina before they are diagnosed medically.
- Eye movement testing (ocular motility), to assess how well your eyes follow a moving object.
- Eye pressure measured by applanation tonometry and / or “air puff” tests that check for glaucoma.
- Colour Vision screening and Depth Perception test
In some cases, where macular degeneration is present, we scan your macula with the MPS 2 macular scanner and in glaucoma patients do the Optopol Visual Field Analyser.
We also do IPL (Intense Pulse Light) therapy for Dry Eye Disease that stimulates the oil glands in your eyelids see our section under Dry Eye Syndrome